Advertising Disclosure: This is your friendly neighborhood MoneyHax founder, Todd. This article is proof that with responsible credit card user you can earn a family vacation! Though we are affiliate partners with the Barclaycard Affiliate Program and must let you know this, we believe in this card’s benefits it provides.
Barclaycard is an innovative credit card company that offers a bevy of credit cards that you may or may not be aware of. While we are affiliate partners, we think Barclaycard is an up and coming credit card issuer that still has so much potential within the US Market. Here’s a look at how we booked a vacation using the credit card bonus from one of their cards!
*$89 Annual Fee is Waived the First Year!*
How We Paid for a Vacation Using This Card
As a family decided to take a trip 300 miles north to Seaworld Orlando and we only paid $50 out of pocket! How did we do this? We used our Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard’s Bonus! Bonuses are issued when you spend a certain amount on the card.
1: How We Reached The Bonus Plateau Easily
By replacing your Debit Card as a primary source of spending, you should use the Credit Card early and often for your everyday expenses like:
- Daycare (if Applicable)
- Mortgage Payments
- Utilities (i.e. Comcast, Water Bill, Electric)
How to Pay Rent with a Credit Card? The company, Plastiq, enables people to pay rent, bills, utilities, loans, and other expenses with a credit card and charges one of the better rates out there (2.5% additional fee). Because of the extra fee and the higher cost of rent, the percentage could add up if you do choose to use a credit card.
2: We Stayed Away From Bad Credit Card Habits
Sure, owning a credit card gives you the ability to purchase something before you have the money to pay for it. And while we respect responsible credit card choices like paying off your card every month, there are several bad credit habits that you should stay clear from like:
- Opening new cards without a purpose
- Not keeping tabs on your card’s balances
- Overspending when you know you won’t have the money that month
- Only paying the minimum
Remember to be responsible with your card and pay it off daily, weekly, monthly. Do not let your debt pile up!
Want to stay on top of spending efficiently? Sync this Barclaycard with an app called Debitize. With Debitize, you’ll be able to automatically pay off credit card balances with your checking account automatically.
3: Finally Reaching The Bonus Spending Amount
You should be able to rack up enough to gain the bonus Travel Statement Credit through the tips above, but remember to reach the plateau of $5,000.
Don’t know what a Travel Statement Credit is? Simply put, once you’ve spent that $5,000, you’ll have $500+ to spend on Travel. One of the significant benefits of this Barclaycard Arrival Plus Credit Card is that you’ll be able to redeem it at most Travel Websites or Businesses. (So go ahead and book travel on rates found on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.)
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus has a 60,000 point bonus when you spend $5,000 in 90 days. This is good enough for ~$500-600 in Travel Statement Credit!
4: We Booked Our Trip!
For some, this could very well be a round-trip to an exotic place, a significant discount on a cruise, etc. For us, we decided to go to Orlando, a popular family destination.
Here is everything we got covered from the ~approximately $500 bonus travel dollars
- 2 SeaWorld Tickets (Children under 3 are free)
- 2 Parking Tickets
- 15 Food Samples for the Seven Seas Food Festival (enough to satisfy most appetites)
- 2 Night Stay at Caribe Royale booked on Hotwire.com (rates vary)
- Travel Insurance
- Round Trip Gas from Miami to Orlando
Remember that with a Credit Card, you don’t need to worry about actually paying for stuff until your balance is due. Since we’ve reached the bonus and now had the statement credit inside of our Barclaycard Dashboard, we can now redeem!
Redeeming the bonus was super simple:
- We Spent $5,000 within 90 Days of Account Activation
- 60,000 point bonus is now activated
- We Booked our Travel (Approximately $500-$630 through Websites)
- Use the 60,000 Points Bonus ($500-$600 Value) to cover it
Other Noteworthy Info on the Barclaycard Arrival Plus Credit Card
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- Get 5% miles back when you redeem the miles for travel…every time you redeem. This enhances the significance of Arrival Plus Mile to 1.05 cents per mile.
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases made while traveling abroad
- 120 Purchase Protection which will assist in Price Change Refunds when you combine it with Earny or Paribus
- Trip Coverage and Cancellation Benefit (Check Approval Brochure for more info)
- International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world.
- You’ll need a Strong Credit Score (Rating) likely above 700-800 (Get Your FREE Score HERE)
- Head to the Sign Up Page and Enter important information like current address, SSN, and Income
- After your application you may be notified of approval or denial, you can always visit their application status page.
- Barclaycard’s Customer Support line is 866-408-4064 for any application or related questions
- Once Approved the Barclaycard Login page is found here: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/ — be sure to use Username and Password Assigned
*$89 Annual Fee is Waived the First Year!*
The editorial content on this site is not provided by the companies whose products are featured. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or evaluations provided here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Advertiser.